Thursday, February 15, 2018

Genetic testing and embryo selection: current status and ethical issues



This is a conversation with two Stanford students about the current status of genetic testing of embryos in IVF, focusing on related ethical issues. Because there is a lot of interest in this topic I suggested we record the conversation and put it online.

I was at Stanford last fall to give a #nofilter talk on this subject, which is where I met one of the students in the video. When I was at Caltech we used to think of Stanford as kind of a soft place, where people didn't have to work so hard. Well, things are different now! My talk was on Friday evening in the Gates Computer Science Building. As I crossed campus I passed football fans (mostly alumni) clad in cardinal (Stanford) and purple (U Washington) heading toward the stadium. I was shocked to find the CS building full of students working really hard at 5:30pm on Friday! (Just like tech, back in the day, I thought.) I was told that 1000 students are enrolled in the machine learning course...



No comments:

Blog Archive

Labels